Youth Program Director
Reports to - Executive Director
Hudson River Community Sailing (HRCS) develops academic success and leadership in underserved NYC youth, and provides maritime education to the city at large. Founded in 2007 to serve the New York City community, HRCS partners with public schools to offer credit-bearing academic programs, internships, mentoring, and college readiness. Our youth development platform uses sailing, boat operation, and boat building to further academic skills and instill the qualities of character necessary for college and career success. We also serve the broader community through affordable marine education and recreation for individuals, groups, schools, businesses, and families. Last year we expanded to a satellite location in northern Manhattan, though our youth programs are primarily based in Chelsea.
HRCS is seeking an individual to lead our innovative and immersive Youth Development Program, Sail Academy. The ideal candidate is passionate about providing young people with opportunities for learning and growth in an experiential setting, and can skillfully lead a dynamic and hardworking team The Youth Program Director oversees the safety, quality, and educational effectiveness of all youth programs. Primary responsibilities include curriculum development and oversight, supervision, data-tracking and reporting, and program evaluation.
The Youth Program Director reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with various Program Managers to assure programming is coordinated well across the organization. Preferably the candidate has a passion for sailing or outdoor education, though the right candidate with other skills and experience will be considered.
- Oversees all youth programs (afterschool, summer, and contract) including:
- Safety (Incident review, updating policies/procedures)
- Overall curriculum planning / management
- Program evaluation
- Data tracking and reporting
- Event planning
- Maintaining and developing strategic partnerships
- Staffing / scheduling
- Program improvement / expansion
- Student recruitment / retention
- Supervision of staff including:
- Onboarding and Training
- Performance reviewing
- Professional development
- Manages volunteers
- Manages and updates program websites
- Oversees communication to key players (Board, Partner schools/program)
- Works in partnership with Development department on grant applications, reports, and site visits
- Management Team - Meets regularly around organizational planning and coordination.
- Youth Development Team - Leads weekly meetings to discuss updates, issues with programs; Meets Bi-weekly for individual check-ins about roles/responsibilities
- Partner Schools - Leads meetings with principals and teachers to check in on student progress, recruitment, credit, and attendance issues for youth programs
- Youth Contract Course - Coordinates with various schools and youth serving organizations
- Volunteers - Schedules for programs assistance
- Partners/Networks - Attend meetings, pass on knowledge/skills gained to other staff
- Master's degree or equivalent experience in education, counseling, management preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in supervision and administration; with a track record of successful leadership
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of database management and google applications.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience with program development
- Knowledge and experience with outcome measurement
- Experience working with a diverse community of clients and staff
- Some public speaking required
- Project management skills
- Strong personnel supervision skills
Start Date – June 2017 (Possibly sooner)
Compensation - Commensurate with experience. Medical insurance. Professional development support. Sailing club privileges.
Send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include reference names and contact numbers.