Soldiers Under Sail is an adaptive sailing program designed specifically to make sailing accessible for our nation's military veterans. This program is designed to both teach the fundamentals of sailing, and give veterans of all branches of the U.S. military in the New York metropolitan area support to help make sailing a part of their lives.
Soldiers Under Sail
In partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA New York Harbor Healthcare and James J. Peters VA Medical Center. Join our mailing list to receive updates on how to participate in the 2024 season.
- No prior sailing experience required. All skill-levels are welcome and encouraged to join HRCS's diverse and inclusive community.
- Participants sail with a US Sailing-certified skipper and fellow veterans.
- Instructional and social sails take place at Pier 66 on Thursday and Saturday mornings from May-October. Learn how to prepare for your sail.
- Participants have access to year-round educational workshops to grow as sailors.
- Eligibility determined by Department of Veterans Affairs
- Must be registered with VA and obtain “Adaptive Sports Medical Clearance Note” from your VA physician prior to final approval by the Manhattan VA
Join our mailing list to receive details for the 2024 season!
To learn more about Soldiers Under Sail, please watch this video
"What's special about coming here for Soldiers Under Sail is we have a new dimension to our lives."
Ray, Soldiers Under Sail participant
Heroes on the Hudson
Adaptive Sports Clinic
HRCS is proud to partner with VA New York Harbor Healthcare to host Heroes on the Hudson. This annual adaptive sports clinic combines sailing and kayaking for over 70 injured veterans from across the city. The full-day event at Dyckman Marina in Inwood is designed so that participants have the opportunity to form strong bonds and relationships with fellow veterans in an atmosphere that promotes both physical and mental wellness.