PREPARING FOR YOUR SAIL
PREPARING FOR YOUR SAIL
Please read our COVID-19 policies
What should I bring to my sail?
- Close-toed shoes with good traction.
- Comfortable sports clothing that can get wet.
- Sun protection (Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- Water bottle.
- Snack (if you'd like).
- Rain jacket, layers, hat, and gloves when appropriate.
Where is HRCS located?
CHELSEA LOCATION - The Pier 66 Boathouse (Map) is located at West 26th street, inside the Hudson River Park. Check confirmation email to confirm location.
- By train: Take the C, E, or 1 to 23rd St and walk west. Alternately, take the 7 to Hudson Yards and walk west.
- By bus: M23 Bus to Chelsea Piers and walk up to 26th Street.
- By car: There is a parking garage at 25th and 11th, 24th between 10th and 11th, and at Chelsea Piers. There is LIMITED street parking on weekends in the surrounding area.
INWOOD LOCATION - HRCS Inwood is located inside Dyckman Street Marina in Inwood. Check confirmation email to confirm location.
- By train: Take the A to Dyckman Street and walk west across Broadway towards the river. Alternately, take the 1 to Dyckman Street and walk west. Upon entering the marina, take a left, and a staff member will meet you at the ramp that leads to the docks.
- By car: Limited street parking is available. There are a number of parking garages nearby.
What will happen when I arrive?
You will be greeted by one of our friendly staff members who will confirm your place on the sail. You will then be asked to fill out a liability waiver if you have not already done so. Once the entire group has arrived, you will meet your instructor, get fitted for a lifejacket and proceed to the dock. The HRCS launch will then take you to your sailboat. Enjoy the sail!
When do I show up for my sail?
Please arrive 15 minutes early.
Is there storage space on the boat for my stuff? Can I store stuff on land?
There is plenty of dry storage in the cabin of the boat. Storage space in the boathouse is limited, but we will do our best to accommodate you.
What kind of boat will we be sailing? How many people fit on it?
Our fleet consists of J/24 and J/80 sailboats. Each boat holds up to 5 passengers, plus an instructor but the majority of our courses are capped at 4 participants.
What happens if there is bad weather or I need to reschedule/cancel?
Check out our Policies page for the specifics of what happens when there is bad weather and if you need to reschedule/cancel.
Are there any age/size restrictions as to who can sail?
The minimum age is 5 years old with a minimum weight of 50 lbs
Do I need to know how to swim?
No. HRCS provides US Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) for every lesson participant.
Can I bring a phone or camera on the boat?
Yes. HRCS is not liable for any lost or damaged goods that you choose to bring aboard.
Can I bring food or drinks on the boat?
Yes, however HRCS does not allow alcohol aboard any of its vessels.