PREPARING FOR YOUR SAIL
PREPARING FOR YOUR SAIL
What should I bring to my sail?
- Close toed shoes with good traction.
- Loose, comfortable sports clothing that can get wet.
- Sun protection (Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- Water bottle.
- Snack if you want.
- Rain jacket, layers, hat, and gloves when appropriate.
Where do I show up for my sail?
- IF YOU SIGNED UP TO SAIL AT "HRCS BoatHouse" - The Pier 66 Boat House (Map) is located where West 26th Street meets the Hudson River inside Hudson River Park. There is good access from the bike path or from 26th Street and the West Side Highway. When you cross the West Side Highway at 26th Street, go straight to the water, turn right and you will see our Boathouse north of the Frying Pan Restaurant. (Boathouse Photo). Check your confirmation email to confirm the location.
- IF YOU SIGNED UP TO SAIL AT Inwood - HRCS Inwood is located inside Dyckman Street Marina in Inwood. Take the A train to Dyckman Street and walk west, downhill, towards the River. Meet us at the docks (Photo). Check your confirmation email to confirm the location.
How do I get there?
Train: C,E, or 1 to 23rd St and walk. Bus: M23 Bus to Chelsea Piers and walk up to 26th Street. Taxi: Tell the cab driver "26th Street and 12th Ave". Car: If driving, there is a parking garage at 25th and 11th, 24th between 10th and 11th, and at Chelsea Piers. There is LIMITED parking on weekends in the surrounding area, but do not rely on it.
What will happen when I arrive?
You will be greeted by one of our friendly staff who will confirm your place on the sail. You will then be asked to fill out a liability waiver (one per sailor). While waiting for the entire group to arrive, we encourage you to use the restroom, fill up your water bottle at the drinking fountain, and get changed (if needed), all of which can be done if you walk through the front garage door and proceed to the 2nd and 3rd door on your left. Once the entire group has arrived, you will meet your instructor, get fitted for a lifejacket and proceed to the dock. The HRCS launch will then take you to your sailboat. Enjoy the sail!
When do I show up for my sail?
10-15 minutes ahead of time
Is there storage on the boat for my stuff? Can I store stuff on land?
There is plenty of dry storage in the cabin on the boat. There is no room to store your stuff on land.
What kind of boat will we be sailing? How many people fit on it?
All our boats are J24s which are 24 feet long. The boats hold up to 4-5 passengers and an instructor. Check out the "Our Fleet" tab on the "About HRCS" for pictures of the boats.
What happens if there is bad weather or if I need to reschedule/cancel?
Check out our Policies page for the specifics of what happens when there is bad weather and if you need to reschedule/cancel.
Are there any age/size restrictions as to who can sail?
The minimum age is 5 years old with a minimum weight of 50lbs (weight limit is in regard to lifejacket sizing).
Can I bring a camera on the boat?
Can I bring food or drinks on the boat?
Food - Yes. Drinks - Yes. Alcohol - NO.