Adult Sailing Instructor
Reports to - Adult Program Director
- DURATION & SEASONALITY - Work is available weekdays and weekends ranging from 5-20 hours and 20-40 hours based on season, your availability and position.
- TRAINING - Training is mandatory and paid.
- BOAT TYPE & GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION - Sailing occurs on J-24’s in New York Harbor and the Hudson River - an active, working waterfront that features wavy conditions, ferries/barges, and strong current. We sail out of Pier 66 and Dyckman Street Marina.
- TYPES OF SAILS - The main adult programs are: Lessons, Excursions, and Corporate/Groups. All are 2-4 hours spent instructing sailing or captaining a J24 on the water. There are sometimes racing elements. We also offer an 18 hour weekend or weekday Basic Keelboat course. We also offer a very robust array of youth opportunities including a credit-bearing program, summer camp, gym classes, youth racing, and more. Ages vary from 10 to 20.
- Proficient sailor
- Ability to recognize the inherent risks involved in each activity and continually assess and adjust programming accordingly.
- Ability to conduct all activities according to the policies, procedures and practices that guide the program plan.
- Experience operating a keelboat with multiple passengers in an active waterfront.
- Experience teaching, leading, or counseling.
- Availability to work evenings and/or weekends (those are our highest needs times)
Strongly Preferred (we can help you attain these)
- First Aid and CPR certifications
- US Coast Guard Captains License
- US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification
To ApplyEmail a Cover Letter and Resume to Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our season runs April-November. Positions are available for shorter durations within this time, ie June-August. There are full and part time needs, from 30 hours a week to 4 hours per month. Enquire for details.
Commensurate with experience. Contribution towards medical insurance.